7.8.07

The Need for Speed

This dude* has nothing on me. Note that he was driving 137 MPH, not KPH, for those of you outside the US. Sure that is a fast speed, really fast! And you have to be pretty brave to go that fast on a motorcycle. But have you ever gone in-between two semi's at over 150 MPH while sitting on the back of motorcycle? Everyone claims that they have done that.....but I will be honest.....I don't have the guts or the stupidity to do anything as careless as that. But I have done many other crazy things behind the wheel of a car. I regularly drive over 100 mph in my SUV and if I am in a car going 140 is nothing. And in Jordan, on the lost stretch of desert highway, 220 KPH is the norm. I wonder if the cruise control works at that speed. I'll have to try that next time. In my neck of the woods, I know the speed traps, and those long smooth straight stretches of highway that allow you to "punch" the gas. I love speed; I do have the need for speed! It makes my adrenaline flow, it is my recreational drug of choice, and there's nothing like passing those who have the cars to smoke you, but don't dare push all their cylinders to their potential, pushing the RPM needle into the red and hearing the roar of the engine. I love it! I press so hard down on the gas pedal with my right foot, that I am practically standing on it. My left foot closely hovers over the brake pedal, just in case I need to manoeuvre around some idiot driving the speed limit in the left lane or if I only have a split second to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. I just feel more safe using both feet to force the brake pads around the rotors and come to a screeching halt. You can see the brake pad dust blowing in the wind, the the smell the burned rubber that just transferred to the asphalt and took off 1/20 of a inch off my treads. Rest assured I am as safe as they come. I don't do put other lives in danger. I don't do this unless the weather is perfect and the roads clear. I just like speed that's all.



*A motorcyclist earned a spot on the sheriff's "Wall of Fame" after he was clocked at 137 miles per hour early Tuesday.
"We have a 'Wall of Fame' here in the report room, and when anybody arrests someone traveling over 100 mph, we mark it down," Tuscola County sheriff's Lt. James Giroux said following the arrest of the Fairgrove man.
"I held the record for a long time after catching a guy going 108 mph, but now with these 'crotch rocket' motorcycles, it's way beyond that. Sgt. Mike Pine had the record for about a year by catching a motorcycle going 118 mph.
"But this 137 mph is the new record," Giroux said.
The 37-year-old motorcyclist told police he was "late for work" after a Vassar police officer stopped him at 3:35 a.m. in the town of Richville, about 80 miles northwest of Detroit.
The suspect was in the county jail Tuesday morning awaiting arraignment on a charge of fleeing and eluding police

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i could not help but smile reading this post!!! really funny that you have the bug of speed. i drive like a real grandma! i do not like to speed and i do follow all the rules even in a country that does not have any traffic or stop signs.
Enjoy your speed...i know you are careful!
YFA

YFA said...

Hello MFA. You should try taking a car to it's limit sometime. Of course pick a safe location and a safe time to do so. I sometimes get bitten in the middle of rush hour traffic and sometimes lose it. That's just plain stupid, but it is hard sometimes to lay off. Good you follow the law....I do for the most part as well.

Anonymous said...

You have been tagged on my blog...you know my address! check it out there.
YFA

Anonymous said...

I will check it our YFA. I promise to get to it soon!