19.3.08

Gifts

I will be traveling to Jordan in less than 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I’m so excited? I am just pumped and really don’t have much planned when I am there except long nights spent playing shaddeh (card games) munching on bizzer (mixed nuts and squash seeds). Can you tell me, how come people eat bizzer along with drinking tea? Or is it just my weird family that does that? Wouldn’t an icy cold Coke or Pepsi be more fitting to accompany the salty snacks?

But I’m in a bit of a dilemma. I usually tell a few of my cousins that I am coming, and they spread the word. From the old to the young, everyone is just as excited as me. The kids wait up for my arrival since the plane lands late in the evening and we usually make a stop at Burger King or Popeye’s on the way home from the airport. I never thought I would be witness to spending a typical Jordanian’s biweekly salary at either of those places, but 6 hungry mouths will easily spend that and more. I don’t eat at either of those places in the US, and only eat BK in Jordan; I don’t eat chicken too often and of course I don’t trust that the oil is changed regularly…another reason I don’t eat falafel sandwiches.

But just after I purchase my ticket, the phone calls come and along with them, requests for things. I don’t mind picking up the face and eye cream for Aunt S, but when I tell her that Lancôme is $130 she swears her neighbor got it for only $40. I still buy it for her, and come on, take money from her...out of the question. Cousins R and A are like crack addicts for Twizzler’s, so I’m in big trouble if I don’t bring them each a few bags...but man four bags are so heavy. Some sort of outdoor survival gear like a Swiss Army knife, Leatherman, or tent for Uncle E. And my cousins, A, A, M, and E always had Fun-Dip and Milk Duds when they lived in the US, but can’t seem to find them in Jordan, so each of them gets a few packs of each. Both their mom and dad call me a few times to ask me to bring "the usual" and they are willing to pay the excess baggage charge in order to get their supply. But usually I don’t have much room for all the things I want to take for me or I’m not able to stay below the 50lb weight limit. But you can’t say no, I mean you can, but I just can’t. Although when my cheapo uncle, asks for things easily found in Jordan, I baulk at getting it for him. He just doesn’t want to spend HIS money on it. And what about those who don’t call...it’s only fair that I take things for them. And with the notoriously large Jordanian family, do I get things for only the grown ups or the little ones too? UGH!!

I still haven’t mastered the art of packing...but I swear this trip will be different...I will start packing early....like tonight. I talk big game, how about some action instead of empty words. Tell you the truth I will probably still be packing on the way to the airport!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh ... don't remind me .. that's the part I hate the most about the trip. I mean getting things for everyone and RETURNING crap for people over here! One friend here asked me to take around 20lb of crap to his family! Aright, I'd do it! And on the return 30lb of junk!
Anyway
Have a wonderful safe trip. If I were you, I wouldn't stop at BK I would go straight to Reem Shawarma .. and eat there :) It was the last thing I did on my way from Jordan

Maioush said...

can i say now i hate you?? no seriously can i hate you?? i know you hate gifts, and you hate packing, but i don't care, DUUUE you are going to JORDAN!! i want to kaman!! :(
i was kidding about the hate you part, but i'n jealous :S

Anonymous said...

:(((((( Listen, i'll pay the extra expenses and be a good girl for the rest of my life if you hide me in your luggage.
I think buying gifts for the little ones is more important so for a family with kids, skip the parents and buy the kids a gift? of course every family has a soccer team of itself, im sorry theres no way out lol.
Listen bro, dirty oil, overcooked, mixed with water, metabolised with vinegar it dont matter you better have a shawerma sandwich in my name!
* I prefer bizer with soda

YFA said...

Q, I don't usually spend many days in Amman, but Reem it will be this time. Shall I send you some pictures ;-)

Mai, don't worry, everyone is jealous of me, and they've said a lot worse to me. Especially my coworkers who get to do my work when I am swimming in the sea!

Pop Gurl, sure, there a bunch of snacks in bags in case you get hungry. And the kids this year will get school supplies I think along with some chocolates.