11.7.08

Miles Per Gallon (mpg)

With the price of gasoline going up 40% in the last year in the US, I am now paying $4.49 for 87 octane gasoline. I drive a Jeep and get 14.8 miles per gallon in the city and 19 mpg on the highway. When I drive the speed limit (which fluctuates between 55 to 65 in my state and let me add which I do 300% of the time, ha ha) I can get the fuel efficiency to spike to 22.1 mpg. For you Jordan based readers: for each litre I get 6.29 kilometers of city driving and can travel 8.08 km per litre on the highway. That type fuel efficiency would make anyone mad, but I see a darker shade of red when my friends who run their cars on veggie oil or get 30+ miles per gallon, rub it in knowing that I can actually see the gauge head towards the "E" when I turn on the A/C.

A few weeks ago I started to feel a little better about having to dish out $85.73 to fill up my tank. As I was driving with my friend he all of sudden starts to yell and points at the dashboard gauges...I asked him what was up thinking some service light illuminated and we would be stuck in the middle of nowhere. His reply, "I am getting 12 miles per gallon on the HIGHWAY!". Everyone knows that Hummer's are fuel hogs, but I guess I never realized they were that bad. Poor guy, he's probably getting 8 or 9 miles per gallon in the city....half of what I was complaining about. YIKES. Glad I couldn't afford to buy a Hummer...cause if I bought one then there is now way I could afford to drive it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*cries endlessly* I'm broke! just because of all the driving I do. I used to be broke because of shopping... now because of driving. I have a four cylinder but gosh it still fills for $55.63
Delta gas stations all the way, the cheapest lol.

Mimi Cooks said...

Tell me about it! it hurts to bad after paying $70.00 to fill up my car and that lasted only for three days!!! yuck!

MommaBean said...

I think we're still paying more than you are over here (especially with the fuel hike (AGAIN!) this week. Good thing the beans love "fresh air"...

YFA said...

Batoul, looks like you'll need to work another job...sorry to tell ya the prices ain't coming down. NJ has rock bottom prices so it could be worse. I top off my tank whenever I visit.

Summer, ouch that much for three days worth of driving. You might need to start working outside the house! ;-)

MommaB, we still have among the cheapest prices...so I should be grateful. Thanks for putting things in perspective for me.