9.7.08

On 15 Day DL

Two weeks ago I placed myself on the 15 day disabled list for softball....not that my shoulder injury had anything to do with it....I was busy moving to a new place, so I skipped one game to get settled in.

But this past Monday I was back in action and I don't know what was more painful, throwing with a torn rotator cuff or watching my team self destruct before my eyes. I think the pain of the loss was greater then the throbbing coming from my throwing arm's shoulder. I batted 1 for 3 (my trademark single, and two first pitch swings the the shortstop had to make amazing plays on for the out). That coming after batting 8 for 8 over the last few games....I was on fire and hit the fence a few weeks ago just a few feet from putting it out of the park. I played third base for the first time in my career for the first few innings and had some great stops on hard hit balls. We turned a double play....but the second basewoman just didn't have her head in the game and it frustrated me that I was getting the ball to her but she couldn't find the base for the many out that slipped away from us. For me throwing became extremely painful as the game wore on. Then they moved me to short centerfield to back up the shortstop who was not doing much to STOP any balls hit to him....and also the second basewomen who did a fine job towards the end of the game (so maybe it was my throwing that was taking her off her game early on). But we shot ourselves in the foot as we dropped balls, had plenty of errors and our pitcher walked 5 straight batters for a few runs for the opposing team. Very frustrating and even moreso that the opposing team was not swinging the bat and settling for walks (in my mind pathetic given the league is for fun and recreation and they should worry about hitting the ball and putting it into play). On a hot humid night, the colorful language came out and the body language was even louder.

What a shame this season is becoming....our team was making a push for the league crown only to see our efforts come up short with injuries and travel schedules taking the best players out of the line up. So we again find ourselves at the bottom in the standings going into the last 3 games. Unfortunately we won't make the playoffs in August, so that will give me time to recover before our annual company intra-departmental soccer match which will be held in September..not that I will use my shoulder much...but I was really wanting to compete in the triathalon in August as part of a three person team...I would would have been the swimer, but I've had to back out. Oh well, maybe next year.

5 comments:

Maher said...

Nicee! i love playing softball!
we have a softball league going on here in Jordan! its Rawwwkss!

tom we playing the best team in the League..

i honestly...play like crap! lol i never hit a double or more lol

asoom said...

yea maybe next year....my brother used to play softball on a team before he turned into a lazy video-game addicted bum.

Welcome to my google reader!

YFA said...

Thanks for visiting guys....

I was thinking too bad I am not a major leaguer cause then I would have a personal trainer and could get back to playing quicker. They have scheduled a practice game this weekend..and well I am going. I know I need to let it heal...but I just can't stay away..I will have all winter to recover.

Maher said...

I just went to the DL! :s

YFA said...

Sorry to hear that mate! Will you make it back this season?